On Feeling Stuck

I feel lost and stuck and don't know what to do. 

Here's the truth: I've spent the better part of the last four five hours trying to get any actual work done without any actual success in doing so. Trapped in limbo between action and inaction, not knowing the outcome of my future leaves me feeling paralyzed to do anything at all. Though I did at least get a few job applications sent in, because money is running out more quickly than I care to admit (color me deeply shamed - I had to borrow money from my mother), every time I open my manuscripts, I just feel overwhelmed by feelings of inadequacy. 

What could have possibly made me think that I could write as a career? 

I want to believe that I am capable of being successful but the truth is that I don't think I'll ever live up to my own unrealistic expectations about what that means. The life I had envisioned for myself has never once come to fruition. I've always dreamed about living in a beautiful house with a handsome husband, working for myself, setting my own schedule as a writer or book editor, and living out my days reading, and drinking coffee, all while fashionably dressed and typing away on a computer. Instead, I live in a crappy house with a handsome boyfriend (who is literally the only thing holding me together lately), and spending what time I have trying to find work for other people, still lounging about in the same pajamas I've been wearing for like three straight days. 

The lack of direction in my youth has turned my life into a series of mistakes, ones that I feel I will never quite overcome. 

All around me, my friends and loved ones are doing great things with their lives - building steady careers, getting married, buying houses. And here I am, thirty-three with barely enough money to cover my own living expenses. I have no education and no career. Shit, lately I've turned into a version of myself that I hate - stoned at 2 o'clock in the afternoon and lounging around the house in the same pajamas I've been wearing for days to play Stardew Valley for four straight hours. The things that I need to do, like put away laundry or mail out thank you cards for the Loveland Concert Band or sew patches on Tom's shirts like he asked me a fucking month ago, sit unfinished for days or weeks at a time. I never want to leave the house or do anything or see anyone. The only thing I want to do is sit around the house and disappear. 

Look, I know that building a career from scratch is a big task. I'm not so disillusioned to believe that choosing this path would be easy or quick but every hour I spend job hunting, trying to find work that is moderately close to what I want to do long term, the laundry list of qualifications becomes a daunting mountain of insurmountable experience. Without a degree, how exactly am I supposed to compete with people who actually went to school to study this art of writing? It's not like I can get any experience editing or copywriting without a degree and unless by some miracle I win the lottery, going back to college will never happen for me. It is literally impossible because I will never be able to afford it. 

Was this path the wrong choice? I love writing. I love it, I love it, I love it. When I'm in a good mood, which lately has been none, words flow out of my hands seamlessly without thought. The process feels natural because it's something I've done my entire life easily. And now, faced with feelings of ineptitude and isolation, I can't help but wonder if I've doomed myself to a life of mediocrity. 

That's enough for today. I find that sometimes the best thing to do when I need to clear my head is write it out and I've done that. My head is empty of whatever errant thoughts were clouding my harsh self-criticism and I need a break. 

Love you. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Compounding Nature of Happiness

Week Sixteen: This Just In - I'm An Asshole

Week Four: Chemical Burns & Exiting Unemployment