Week Twelve: Chaos, Comedy, & Crazy Random Happenstances

Approximately once a year, I get an insatiable urge to be extra feminine--doing my nails, having my hair done, expending that barely used effort to actually shave my legs for once (which, as a real woman with a real person body, I'm not sorry to report has hair. Who is seeing my legs besides me and my dog? NO ONE! That's who. And why should it matter? Women have hair! Sorry not sorry). And apparently that day is today. I went to the store after work and picked up a new nail file, because the one I own is actually a million years old, and some black nail polish. Because though I do occasionally embrace things traditionally seen as feminine, my efforts are nothing if not rooted in my love of all things goth-esque. Thus the black nail polish.

I digress.

The point of this little rant is that I absolutely suck at being girly. There's nail polish painted in jagged, bumpy little lines scattered on the skin surrounding the actual nail like a very, very, very poorly executed Jackson Pollack painting. There's a reason that we pay people to do these things professionally. It's also a good thing that I'm not so wildly invested in this look that I care to correct it. Chances are it'll chip in a few days anyway.

Moving on!

As I'm sure you've noticed, this blog is late. And there's a very good reason for that: I was tired. Let me back it up for you and I'll tell you about my week/end. But before I do that, I just want to update you after last weeks blog. I'll keep it short because to be perfectly frank, I'm in such a great mood that I don't want to dwell on it so long it'll sour my spirits. Things are more or less stable on the home front. As I'll discuss here shortly, the furious search for a place to live is still continuing (though perhaps not for much longer?) but at least for the time being, I am stable. Life is weird but if nothing else, I am loved well and that will definitely carry me through every thing else.

With that out of the way, let's get to the good stuff!

To start, I found the perfect apartment last Thursday. Now, normally I try not to get excited about things like jobs or apartments or potential partners because it's been my experience that expressing any kind of excitement about the possibility of something is sure to incite its doom; however, after having spoken extensively with the homeowner of this house, I have a very good feeling. It's bright, has a ton of character and hardwood floors throughout, and most importantly it's under budget. 


Me when I found this apartment

Since finding this apartment, my now incredible hunt for a roommate has increased ten-fold, to the extent that I had an unbelievable seven roommate interviews this weekend, thus the busy. Not only was I out almost all day Saturday but the majority of Sunday as well, on top of my Saturday night shenanigans, which will be detailed here shortly. 

Some of my past experiences living with roommates has left me in a state of being moderately picky. I don't think its terribly unreasonable to want a roommate who is not only responsible and clean but whose values align with my own, right? When I was living with Ashley, I got spoiled having a roommate who cleaned up after herself, gave me physical space when I needed down time, always communicated with me when it was necessary, and paid the bills on time among other things. Honestly, I should probably blame her for setting the precedent for all future housemates. I will say though that there is one person that seems like a solid candidate and time will only tell if she decides to move in with me. 

The selling point of this apartment if you were curious. It's so bright!

So, on top of the absolutely packed schedule with roommate interviews, I also had the abundant pleasure of seeing a comedy show with my friend Julia. Earlier this last week, Jules had sent me a text out of the blue seeing if I wanted attend a comedy show with her and I was stoked! I was so excited to hang out with her that I didn't even bother asking who we were seeing; why should it matter? I loved stand up comedy and getting to hang out with Jules even more. As the weekend rolled around, I was milling about in Fort Collins between roommate interviews and happened to see that my good friend Nate and his wife Holly were also attending the show at the Lincoln Center in Fort Collins. 

"Oh, it looks like he's going to the Lincoln Center, too! Wait. ...is that Iliza Schlesinger?!" 

Not a millisecond after seeing this crazy random happenstance, I immediately texted Julia to confirm that we were in fact seeing one of my absolute favorite comedians, whose specials on Netflix I have seen no less than one billion times (she has three!). It was true! We were seeing Iliza Schlesinger at the Lincoln Center on freaking Saint Patrick's Day and two of my very wonderful, amazing, beautiful friends were coming up to Denver, too! 

Life is sometimes really hard and complicated and painful but this weekend was not that. I met a lot of interesting people and got to see a comedy show with some of my favorite people and play with my dog a bunch in the unseasonably warm March sun. It was a good weekend. 

And I am still pooped. Thank god for coffee. Like so much coffee. Truly, I live by it. It got me through today because I was just wiped out. Still kind of am, to be completely honest. 

I'll leave you with this, friends: good, loving people always make the difference and I am so lucky that I am swimming in an abundant amount of those folks. 

Until next week. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Compounding Nature of Happiness

Week Sixteen: This Just In - I'm An Asshole

Week Four: Chemical Burns & Exiting Unemployment